Wednesday, November 6, 2013

It's like sleeping with a deer!!

Day Two, morning of...

4 am: Beano starts his let-me-out-please whine.... Wait 15 to see if he means it... He does.

I get up on the third whine, open his crate and redirect him from our warm bed to the cold back door. Waiting in the still-dark utility room for Beano to do his thing, it occurs to me that I can't recall how Beano learned to accept his crate. I have no recollection of the process. It's like the memory card for that process has been removed from cerebral storage. The thought is mildly worrisome for about a minute and a half.

Meanwhile, Opal passed the first night in a strange room and a borrowed crate without a whimper. The girl is no whiner. I know I should let her out for a break, too, but it's two hours before alarm time. I know I can get Beano back in his bed. I have no assurance with Opal.

Seems to me that our species, we so-called wise men, think of ourselves more highly than we ought. We are human! Self-aware! Tool Maker! Builder of Empires!! THINKERS!!! In the eyes and minds of dogs, however, we are just another dog!

What is man without the beasts?
If all the beasts were gone,
men would die from a great loneliness of spirit.
For whatever happens to the beasts,
soon happens to man.
All things are connected.
~ Chief Seattle


Later.... 5:15 or so. I'm in the kitchen, fixing up breakfasts all around, and I hear the sound of a small moose galumphing across the floor and bounding to the bed.

OH MY GOD, IT'S LIKE SLEEPING WITH A DEER!!! Annie shouts, laughing.

So much for not jumping on the bed....

No comments:

Post a Comment